Inrejects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gaboman

gaboman

Number of posts : 9748
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 1:33 am

Did I do one of these yet?

I should have.

Greatest Trilogy ever, perhaps with exception to the Star Wars trilogy. Even then, I tell you, sometimes I'm not so sure. No freakin' Ewoks in Back to the Future, are there? No, there aren't.

Everything about the first movie is the dogs bollocks. A lot of people hate the second, but I reckon it's awesome. And the third rocks.

The space-time continuum can go screw itself.
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 11:14 am

Personally, I don't think anything can touch the Star Wars Holy Trilogy.

That being said, the Back To The Future trilogy is the shit.

I liked the second one but it came across a little bit like it was a 90 minute tease for the third movie.

The third film was good, I like westerns, but it borrowed too much from the second movie in the sense that Fox played his relative again, his mom played his great, great, great grandmother who should have no resemblance (I know it's nit picking.) The guy who played Biff did a great job playing Mad Dog, but I dunno, another Biff chase scene, more cow shit at the end... I get history repeating itself and all that, but come on now.

BTTF 3 did seem more gritty though. Marty getting strung up at the start, duel at the end, train chase was life or death... I dug it. Except the end, with the train and the fruity speech. Angered me. Should have destroyed the Delorean and gotten a letter from the long dead Doc or maybe his relative meets up with Marty and that's it. Kids named Jules and Verne were lame. I wanted to punch them.

I would give Back To The Future an A, BTTF 2 a B and BTTF 3 a B-.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Leonna

Leonna

Number of posts : 1172
Where I am : Here... where ever here is...
Registration date : 2007-01-27

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 11:32 am

OH my God!! I grew up on these movies!! I love them... that's all there is to it....
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 12:11 pm

I remember when the second one came out, I went with my brother. I suggested we show up early because there will be a line. So we got there, first ones in line. Turns out I got the time wrong and we were 2 hours early. Of course I was 11 therefore we couldn't drive back home. Suffice to say I punished feverishly until we got into the theater.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Leonna

Leonna

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 12:17 pm

HAHA!!! That's hilarious. There was this guy I knew at A&M who had never seen any of the BTTF movies!!! Me and a few other guys freaked out and sat him down to watch it. After the movie was over we eagerly awaited his opinion. And I quote "meh..." He didn't deserve to see the greatness that is BTTF
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 10:54 pm

I remember seeing Part II in Nowra cinemas. I was probably like 8 or 9 at the time, so I thought it was the best movie ever. The way they worked the first movie into it.... well, I think I had my first orgasm right there and then. I loved Part III too. Forget where I saw that.

I remember while I was waiting for Part II to begin, I saw a TV with a clip for Nightmare on Elm Street 5. Scared the shit out of me.
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2007 1:13 pm

I totally geeked out for the second one, too. I was convinced that hover boards existed and the government was stopping them from being made. I would have swore on it.

I want that sports almanac though. The main guy in Replay bet on sports games, Marty ripped off his idea.

Doc Brown was kind of a bitch about making money off the time machine. Yet he'll bang some chick when it suits him. Jerk.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2007 2:40 pm

Honestly, this is easily the funniest thing ever on YouTube. I laugh my silly ass off everytime I see it.

Behold: Brokeback To The Future https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfODSPIYwpQ

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2007 7:46 pm

hehehe they had a lot of those brokeback clips last year. I remember they had one for Top Gun too. Brilliant stuff.

I looked on imdb, and I can't believe how dumb people can be. A lot of people are saying that Marty and Jen shouldn't have seen themselves in the future, because they left 1985. I mean, what the fuck, man? How dumb is world becoming that they just can't think 2 steps ahead once in a while and figure shit out? This new generation of 'geeks' is just lame.
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 11:18 am

I remember getting into all kinds of temporal arguments with dips back in the day.

It boils down to how people wrap their mind around time travel. It's a chicken and the egg, chasing your tail argument.

It's like, dude, you're watching a movie. Put down your fuckin' Star Trek book and go along for the ride.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Leonna

Leonna

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 12:05 pm

But one thing has always bugged me about Marty going to the past and interacting with his parents. Obviously the parents marry and have kids but won't they realize that thier son and Marty from the past look EXACTLY alike? I mean come on....
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 12:56 pm

Well, imagine knowing someone for a few weeks when you're 18 then remembering exactly what they look like 20+ years later.

I see what you're saying though.

I'm sure George may have said, "you know who Marty kind of looks like? That Calvin Klein kid. We should try to get in touch with Calvin. He sure is doing good in the underwear business."

I would think that Lorraine would remember what Doc looked like. The man looked the same 30 years later.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Leonna

Leonna

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 12:59 pm

I did like the part where Marty sees his uncle as a baby in the play pen... "Better get used to these bars kid..." Priceless.
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 2:08 pm

He macked on his mom. Bad news. Wonder if he could have become his own father.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

Number of posts : 7218
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:21 pm

Don't hate me but:

First one: A plus

Second one: F

Third one: B minus
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 4:24 pm

That is rough. I'd be more like A-C-B.

F to me is like Catwoman or a video of a colonoscopy.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 4:29 pm

I hated part two.

Sorry, but I did. So I give it an F.

Part 3 was cool enough, but did not achieve the greatness that one did.
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 4:47 pm

Hey, I hear you bro. There are some movies I downright loathe that other people might dig.

Like I said, I can see where you are coming from.

Also, when you have a dope ass movie then wait what, 4 years to make the sequel, the bar is raised so high. You've been waiting for so long it has to stand up to the original.

Plus I was around 11 the first time I saw it so the Hover Boards had me in love with the movie.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 4:52 pm

Why movies fail or do well is a subject of great interest to me, I do wonder why one works and the same people make the sequels, and the next one sucks.

I think, for me, part one was an almost perfect movie, it had just the right balance of seriousness and brevity, and it was the right mixture to make it seem fun, yet you kind of worried what would happen to the characters.

So it was drama and comedic relief in a perfect mix.

Part two, for me, got it all wrong, as it was too much bogus comedy relief, and the drama parts didn't add up to much, and the feeling that something real was happening just went out the window, and it got almost into parody mode.

I felt the same way about the Raiders trilogy, exactly the same.

Loved one, hated two, and kinda almost liked part 3.
Back to top Go down
Leonna

Leonna

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 5:05 pm

Whidden wrote:
I hated part two.

Sorry, but I did. So I give it an F.

Part 3 was cool enough, but did not achieve the greatness that one did.

Ditto!
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 6:27 pm

Whidden wrote:
Why movies fail or do well is a subject of great interest to me, I do wonder why one works and the same people make the sequels, and the next one sucks.

I think there are a lot of different factors. When a movie is a commercial success, studio executives want another one right away. Then they cruise in with their own ideas and other bullshit that creatively stifles the movie. Sponsors want in, so the studio forces the director to have a big Pepsi ad or some other blatant sponsorship. They also double the budget so now they really want to protect the investment and have a bunch of suits micro-manage the entire production.

You can tell it was different with George Lucas. Star Wars was his baby, from start to finish.

Sometimes a sequel is just rushed.

More often that not though, a sequel, by definition, is inferior. The first time you see a movie like Back To The Future, you're floored. It's something new, unique, cool. You expect the same from the sequel but it's categorically impossible unless you totally copy it, then it sucks. Or you completely dump the fourmula that made the first one great to begin with, roll the dice, but invariably it will suck. It's a suck-suck situation

For example: you have a weird movie called The Matrix that the studio could give a shit about. It makes a ton of money. The studio orders two sequels right away which are filmed back-to-back (which is exactly what happened with Back To The Future.) As a result the creativity suffers.

Sequels can't live up to the original, never have, never will.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 6:35 pm

I agree, but with 3 notable exceptions to the rule:

Star Wars. Empire was better than a New Hope.

Aliens 2 was better than Alien 1.

The Dollars Trilogy. While having some good scenes, A fistfull of dollars is mildly boring.

The second one, For a Few Dollars More, was way better, but even it had a few dull moments.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly went way past those two, blew them away.

Other than those, I can't think of the sequel being better.
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 6:49 pm

There are a few exceptions when a sequel is as good as the original.

Star Wars-
We've had this debate about Hope vs. Empire. I still contend that by nature of the fact it's a sequel, Empire cannot be better than Hope. You erase Hope from existance and Empire is a worse movie. The opposite is not true. Therefore it can't be better.

Alien-
Aliens was a completely different movie than Alien. James Cameron took the idea and completely blew out the original formula, yet it worked. Very rare example.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 6:49 pm

I think movie one is almost the perfect movie. Take for instance when the Libyans are heading for them in the parking lot in the van.

There was a sense of danger, just enough to make it real, and while there was massive comedy in the movie, it was melded with the drama parts.

The concept of the movie, which was really ludicris, seemed like it could "almost" really happen, because they wrote it right, or directed it right, or the music was right, or the acting, I don't know.

I expected more of the same in part two, but it got really really silly, it was more of a fun movie, but it lost all the sense of realism.

When stuff was happening in movie one, I had a vested interest in it, I was thinking things could go wrong, that made for suspence.

The second one, I felt none of that. It was just eye candy and that bully dude trying to beat him up some more. A lot of the jokes fell flat for me, I just didn't dig it.

They pulled it out of the crapper in part 3, and they did a lot better with the plot.
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 6:53 pm

yeah, but Vader lops off Lukes hand in the second one, and boy wonder goes off into the abyss. Can't beat that!

And the Falcon was a bad ass ship in two, Han was flying that thing around like a man on crack.

And the bounty hunters on the Battle Cruiser, Han frozen, Cloud City, asteroids, lots of dead admirals, the imperial walkers,

that movie just rocked my world at the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread   The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Back To The Future Trilogy Appreciation Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next