Inrejects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread

Go down 
+2
HECK!
gaboman
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gaboman

gaboman

Number of posts : 9748
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 4:35 am

Young Frankenstein, Space Balls and Blazing Saddles are the donkey's bollocks. Nothing better than those three movies. Robin Hood: Men In Tights and Dracula: Dead and Loving It are both beyond brilliant too. I have even been known to enjoy The Producers and History of the World Vol. 1.

Moral of the story? Mel Brooks is freakin' hilarious. He's much better than that other funny jew. You know who I mean... the nervous one, married his daughter. Weirdo. I'd have totally been riding Mia Farrow's... uh... am I still typing? ... never mind.
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 10:43 am

Dracula: Dead and Loving It sucked wang, but the rest you mentioned are epic.

I remember seeing Spaceballs in the theater and was floored. Young Frankenstein is f'n perfect.

But Blazing Sadles has just always cracked me up. One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Gene Wilder was priceless.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 10:59 am

Mel Brooks is a god of comedy. You've just got to love the guy.

I have "History of the World, Part I" and I love that movie.

Blazing Saddles and Space Balls were awesome too!!!
Back to top Go down
http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 11:09 am

In Spaceballs when that black dude is combing the desert and is all, "we ain't found shit!" is classic.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 11:16 am

And they are literally "combing" the desert. The black dude is using a huge pick! LOL
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 11:19 am

Exactly. I was talking about that scene on INR with Whizzle a while back and found out that dude later was cast on that Trek show 'Voyager'.

Anyway, Pizza The Hut was funny. Oh, and at the end... "oh shit, Spaceballs. There goes the planet."

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Illuminate

Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 1:59 pm

I never got why people like Blazzing Saddles. I think that movie sucks. never saw producers or history of the world pt.1 But i heard they're spectacular. Dracula dead and loving it SUHUHUHUCKED! Robin hood was aiiiight, sorta funny. Young Frankenstein was BRILLIANT, and spaceballs - well, there are no words for Spaceballs. It's just the best of the best.
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 2:27 pm

Yeah... I loved the planet of the apes at the end, Heck!! That was great.

And when they are using Mega Maid to take the air from the planet Druidia:
"She's going from suck to blow!"

LMAO

Last edited by on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Check this out... just found it on Wikipedia:

In September, 2004, a sequel to Spaceballs entitled Spaceballs 2 was announced in an interview with Mel Brooks (this was hinted in Spaceballs when the character Yogurt said "God willing we'll all meet in Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money".[2]) Brooks said he hoped to have the sequel come out some time around the theatrical release of, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. It was later planned to be turned into an animated television show.[3] On September 21, 2006, Mel Brooks announced that he was indeed developing an animated TV series based on Spaceballs, set to debut on cable network G4 in the Fall of 2007.[4] The series would begin with a one-hour pilot, followed by an initial batch of 13 episodes of Spaceballs: The Series.
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 2:29 pm

The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread 300px-Pizzamargherita The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Magnify-clip
Pizza the Hutt

The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread 300px-Scwartz The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Magnify-clip
Lone Starr using the Schwartz ring to confront Lord Dark Helmet
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 2:29 pm

The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread 220px-Spaceballs_DVD_cover The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Magnify-clip
Spaceballs: The DVD
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 2:30 pm

Wasn't Dick Van Patten the priest or whatever on Spaceballs and Men In Tights?

Speaking of MIT, funny to see Cary Elwes not doing anything while Dave Chappelle was just the "it" guy in Hollywood.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 2:30 pm

Trivia for
Spaceballs (1987)

• One of the ships parked at the diner is the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars (1977).
  • The "chestburster" scene in the interstellar diner features John Hurt, whose character suffered the same fate in Alien (1979). In an obscure joke, the creature emulates the singing frog in the classic Warner Brothers cartoon "One Froggy Evening".
  • When President Skroob meets the twins, he tells them to "chew their gum." This is a reference to "Doublemint" commercials featuring twins.

• Colonel Sanders is the founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Dark Helmet says "What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? Chicken?"
  • When Dark Helmet asks for transformation into Mega Maid he says "Prepare for Metamorphosis, are you ready Kafka?" Franz Kafka wrote a novel called "The Metamorphosis."
  • President Skroob's name is an anagram of Mel Brooks, the man who plays him.
  • In the scene where Dark Helmet views a videotape of Spaceballs, the movies in the case are all Mel Brooks' previous films.
  • The license plate on Princess Vespa's Mercedes reads, "Spoil'd Rott'n I."
  • Mel Brooks had a rather nasty allergy to the Yogurt make-up, necessitating the shooting of all of Yogurt's scenes out of sequence.
  • During the self-destruct sequence, when the "Cancel Self Destruct" door is opened, the "Authorized By" line at the bottom has the name ALBIEZ. Peter Albiez was one of the special effects staff.
  • It took Mel Brooks six months to write the script.
  • George Lucas gave his approval to Mel Brooks to make the film after reading the script, as he was a big fan of Brooks' previous films.
  • John Candy ad-libbed the line, "Oh, that's gonna leave a mark," after standing up without undoing his seat belt.
  • The voice of the Self-Destruct Countdown is that of the film's script supervisor, Julie Pitkanen.
  • George Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic constructed the lightsabers for the film.
  • The scene in which Dark Helmet (Rick Moranis) is playing with his dolls was not in the script. Mel Brooks came up with the idea on the set one day, and told it to Moranis, who then improvised the entire scene, including the dialogue.
  • The Barf costume was operated by three people. John Candy operated Barf's tail using a hidden control in his paw, while two assistants each controlled an ear. Candy's costume was powered by a 30-pound battery that he wore on his back.
  • When King Roland asks Lone Starr and Barf to save Princess Vespa, he says they were last seen passing Jupiter 2. Jupiter 2 is the name of the ship the Robinson family travels on in "Lost in Space" (1965).
  • Of all the many jokes in this film, Mel Brooks says that the two he is most proud of are the running gag about merchandising ("Spaceballs: the Breakfast Cereal", "Spaceballs: The Tee-Shirt", etc.) and Col. Sandurz's renting "Spaceballs" before it was finished.
  • The blasters used by the Spaceball stormtroopers are actually Calico M100 carbines with a scope attached.
  • WILHELM SCREAM: When Barf holds up the curved tubes, deflecting the shots of four of the bad guys back at them, the fourth one screams a Wilhelm as he is shot in the rear.
  • The lunch box and coloring book yogurt shows Lone Star are actually Transformers products with Spaceballs logo stuck on them.
  • The film critic Rocco reviews is "Rocky 5000"
  • Spaceballs merchandising stuff shown in the movie:

• bed sheet
    • flame thrower
    • lunch box
    • cornflakes
    • towels
    • Yogurt figure
    • toilet paper
    • shaving cream

• The ape who says "There goes the planet!" is voiced by an unbilled Michael York.
  • Mel Brooks asked George Lucas's permission before spoofing Star Wars (1977). Lucas said that he could only make this film if no merchandise was manufactured which is why all the movie related products are shown in the movie.
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 2:47 pm

Some more funny lines from Spaceballs:

Dark Helmet : I bet she gives great helmet.

Dark Helmet : Careful you idiot! I said across her nose, not up it!
Laser Gunner : Sorry sir! I'm doing my best!
Dark Helmet : Who made that man a gunner?
Major: I did sir. He's my cousin.
Dark Helmet : Who is he?
Colonel Sandurz : He's an asshole sir.
Dark Helmet : I know that! What's his name?
Colonel Sandurz : That is his name sir. Asshole, Major Asshole!
Dark Helmet : And his cousin?
Colonel Sandurz : He's an asshole too sir. Gunner's mate First Class Philip Asshole!
Dark Helmet : How many asholes do we have on this ship, anyway?
[Entire bridge crew stands up and raises a hand]
Entire Bridge Crew: Yo!
Dark Helmet : I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes!
[Dark Helmet pulls his face shield down]
Dark Helmet : Keep firing, assholes!

(Col. Sandurz barges in on Helmet playing with dolls)

Dark Helmet: Did you see anything?
Col. Sandurz: No sir, I didn't see you playing with your dolls again.

(Spaceballs ship overshoots the Winnabego)

Barf: Spaceballs 1.....they've gone to plaid!

(The migets save everyone)
Lone Star: Thanks...
Jawas: Dink dink Dink
Lone Star: Whats this....when did we get to Disney Land?
(everyone marching)
Jawas: Dink-Dink, Dink-dink-dink-dink-dink-dink, dink-dink, dink-dink-dink-dink-dink-dink, dink-dink, dink-dink-dink-dink-dink, (Continues)

Yogurt: Who dare stands in the pressence of the ever-lasting know-it-all, Yogurt?!
Everyone: Yogurt!?

Dark Helmet: What's the matter with this thing? What's all that churning and bubbling? You call that a radar screen?

Col. Sandurz: No, sir. We call it Mr. Coffee.

Col. Sandurz: (shrieking) Prepare Ship----Prepare ship, for Ludicrous speed! Fasten all seat belts! Seal all entrances and exits! Close all shops in the mall. Cancel the three-ring circus. Secure all animals in the zoo...
Dark Helmet: Give me that you petty excuse for an officer! Now hear this, Ludicrous speed...
Col. Sandurz: Sir, hadn't you better buckle up?
Dark Helmet: Eh, buckle this! ludicrous speed....Go!

Dark Helmet : Before you die there is something you should know about us, Lone Star.
Lone Starr : What?
Dark Helmet : I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Lone Starr : What's that make us?
Dark Helmet : Absolutely nothing! Which is what you are about to become.

"Why didn't anyone tell me my ass was so big?..."

"Now, the short short version!"
"Do you?!"
"Do you?!"

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Dark Helmet: Have you found them yet?
Radar Man: NO Lord Helmet. They stil aren't on the scanner.
Dark Helmet: Well keep looking for them. (sips coffee through mask)
Col. Sandurz: Pardon me sir, I have an Idea. Corporal, get me a video cassette of Spaceballs: the Movie.
(Mr. Rental opens up, and it features all Mel Brooks movies)
Radar Man: The Prducers, Twelve Chairs, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein...

Dark Helmet: Col. Sandurz, may I speak with you please?
Col. Sandurz: Yes sir?
Dark Helmet: How can there be a cassette of Spaceball the movie? We're still in the middle of making it!
Col. Sandurz: Thats true sir. But theres been a new breakthrough in home video marketing.
Dark Helmet: There has?
Col. Sandurz: Yes, instant cassettes. They're out in stores before the movie is finished.
Dark Helmet: Nah...
Radar Man: Here it is, sir. Spaceballs!

Col. Sandurz: Good work Corporal, punch it up. Too early. Prepare to Fast-Forward!
Radar Man Preparing to fast forward. Fast forwarding sir!
(High-pitched audio and squeaking; shows Helmet start Ludicrous speed)
Dark Helmet: No go past this part, in fact, never play this again. (sips coffee)
Col. Sandurz: Try here, stop!

(shows them all at present time)
Dark Helmet: What the hell am I looking at!? When does this happen in the movie?
Sandurz: Now. You're looking at now sir. Everything that happens now is happening now.
Dark Helmet: What happend to then?
Col. Sandurz: We past it
Dark Helmet: When?

Col. Sandurz: Just now. We're at now now.
Dark Helmet: Go back to then.
Col. Sandurz: When?
Dark Helmet: Now.
Col. Sandurz: Now?
Dark Helmet: Now.
Col. Sandurz: I can't.
Dark Helmet: Why?
Col. Sandurz: We missed it.
Dark Helmet: When?
Col. Sandurz: Just now.
Dark Helmet: When will then be now?
Col. Sandurz: Soon.
Dark Helmet: How soon?

Radar Man: Sir, I've identified their location.
Dark Helmet: Where?
Radar Man: Its the moon of Vega.
Col. Sandurz: Good work, set a course and prepare for our arrival.
Dark Helmet: When!?
Radar Man: 19 hundred hours.
Col. Sandurz: By high noon tomorrow they will be our prisoners.
Dark Helmet: Who!? (mask falls)
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Druid King: Alright, alright; I'll give you the combination of the airlock. It's 1...

Helmut: 1!

Col. Sanders: 1!

King: 2...

Helmut: 2!

Sanders: 2!

King: 3...

Helmut: 3!

Sanders: 3!

King: 4...

Helmut: 4!

Sanders: 4!

King: 5.

Helmut: 5!

Sanders: 5!

Helmut: So, the combination is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. What the hell is that? That's the kind of combination an idiot uses on his luggage!

(President Scrube enters the room.)

Helmut: Sir! We have the combination!

Pres. Scrube: Excellent! The combination is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5? That's amazing! I have the same combination on my luggage.

(President Scrube leaves the room.)

Pres. Scrube: Set course for Druidia! And someone change the combination on my luggage!
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

Colonel Sanders: Are you alright sir?
Dark Helmet: Fine. How have you been?
Colonel Sanders: Fine sir.
Dark Helmet: Good.
Colonel Sanders: It's a good thing you were wearing that helmet.
Dark Helmet: Yeah..
Colonel Sanders: What should we do now, sir?
Dark Helmet: Well...are we stopped?
Colonel Sanders: We're stopped, sir.
Dark Helmet: Good. Why don't we take a five minute break?
Colonel Sanders: Very good, sir.
Dark Helmet: Smoke if you got 'em.
*Dark Helmet falls forward to the ground*
Back to top Go down
Illuminate

Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 2:59 pm

I just bought the dvd at target last week. Now i'm dying to watch it.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 8:28 pm

Tsk, you can't say Dracula: Dead and Lovin' It Sucked, that'd put it in the same group as Gigli, Plan 9, and the other movies we're talkin' about in the sucky movie thread. I dunno if you guys are into dracula and vampire movies in general, but if you've seen plenty of them (particularly the old ones) you'll see where a lot of the gags come from.

First time I saw it I almost wet myself. It's at least on the same level as Robin Hood: Men In Tights 'sfar as I can see.
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

Number of posts : 7218
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 8:38 pm

I saw Blazing Saddles as a wee young lad. My favorite character at that time was Mongo. The tough dude that hit the horse.

And of course all the fart jokes. Sitting around eating beans, and ripping long bombs. That had my young self hollering.

But to date, my favorite line from that movie is when the black sherrif stands up and says, "Let me whip this out..."

and the crowd, Higgens among them, all shy away. He is just pulling out the writ, forgot even what it was, some form saying he was sherrif, but they all thought...well, you know what they thought. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 9:02 pm

Whidden wrote:
my favorite line from that movie is when the black sherrif stands up and says, "Let me whip this out..."
YES!! YESSS, oh God, Yessss!!! hehehe

They play Blazing Saddles a surprising amount on TV here. Considering most people won't get it, I find that really odd.
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2007 11:00 am

gaboman wrote:
Tsk, you can't say Dracula: Dead and Lovin' It Sucked, that'd put it in the same group as Gigli, Plan 9, and the other movies we're talkin' about in the sucky movie thread. I dunno if you guys are into dracula and vampire movies in general, but if you've seen plenty of them (particularly the old ones) you'll see where a lot of the gags come from.

First time I saw it I almost wet myself. It's at least on the same level as Robin Hood: Men In Tights 'sfar as I can see.

That Dracula movie thing makes Men In Tights look like God's joke book. It was kind of like Naked Gun 33 1/3 meets a hemroid.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2007 12:07 am

Oh absolutely, man.............. Except not at all.

I only thought it was 'not bad, pretty funny,' before. I've upgraded my opinion to 'number one comedy of all time,' just to spite you Wink
Back to top Go down
Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2007 1:24 am

the first time i read this i thought it said the mel gibson appreciation thread. and then i started reading the titles of the movies and thought wtf dies this have to do with mel gibson. i'm such a tard
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2007 12:14 pm

gaboman wrote:
Oh absolutely, man.............. Except not at all.

I only thought it was 'not bad, pretty funny,' before. I've upgraded my opinion to 'number one comedy of all time,' just to spite you Wink

I've downgraded it to Hitler's favorite movie.

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread   The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next