Inrejects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bible is America's favorite book: poll

Go down 
+3
Lawless
Nymphadora
gaboman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
gaboman

gaboman

Number of posts : 9748
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

Bible is America's favorite book: poll Empty
PostSubject: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:09 am

Tue Apr 8, 3:07 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - When it comes to literary pursuits in the United States most people agree on at least one thing -- the most popular book is the Bible, according to a new survey.

It came in first in a Harris Poll of nearly 2,513 adults but the second choice in the survey was not as clear cut.

"While the Bible is number one among each of the different demographic groups, there is a large difference in the number two favorite book," Harris said in a statement announcing the results.

Men chose J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" and women selected Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind" as their second-favorite book, according to the online poll.

But the second choice for 18- to 31-year-olds was J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, while 32- to 43-year-olds named Stephen King's "The Stand" and Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons."

Picks for second-favorite book also varied according to region. "Gone With the Wind" was number two in the southern and midwestern United States while easterners chose "The Lord of the Rings" and westerners opted for "The Stand."

Whites and Hispanics picked "Gone With the Wind" as their second-favorite book after the Bible, while African-Americans preferred "Angels and Demons."

"Finally, they may not agree on candidates, but one thing that brings together partisans is their favorite book. For Republicans, Democrats and Independents, the top two books are the same -- the Bible followed by "Gone With the Wind."

Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code," "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand and "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger rounded out the top 10 favorites.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:11 am

Though, for real, ask any Christian adult what their favorite book is and they'll say the bible whether they've read it or not.
Back to top Go down
Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:51 am

Well, I wouldn't say it was my favorite book, but I see you point.
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 1:49 am

I'm a Christian, but I wouldn't say that the Bible is my favorite book. Though, I do like to read it, a lot.
Back to top Go down
http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 2:27 am

What would your answer be though?

I mean, good... I think that's an honest answer. I'm sure a lot of people are worried God will smite them if they say otherwise... I don't think it has to be your favorite book or anything, though... as long as you get something from it (and perhaps recommend it to people) then that's cool, right?
Back to top Go down
Schmiggens

Schmiggens

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:04 am

I did a Bible studies course in very early primary school when they still taught religion in school, and I had an illustrated kids bible, I read that, but it was edited in kid-speak.

Can't say I've ever actually read the Bible, as such. I have one (or two?) that were my mum's and I occassionally flick through it.

Most recently after re-watching Pulp Fiction and trying to find that passage from Ezekial that Samual L quotes, which lead me to find out that the Pulp Fiction quote is NOTHING like it is in the Bible. A movie taking artisitc liberties with something?!?! I've never heard of such a thing!!

Someone should do a movie of the Bible though, like Baz Luhrman did with Romeo & Juliet, bringing it up-to-date and making it modern. The bible has all sorts of cool stuff in it if you can get past all the thous and ye olden language.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:07 am

Totally, a movie on the Bible. It'd be like that movie.... what was it called? Oh yeah, "The Bible." Wink
Back to top Go down
Schmiggens

Schmiggens

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:13 am

You know what I mean, not a "Passion of the Christ" back in the day verson, but something set in current times, with normal words and not that shakespeare style stuff.

I think a modern take on the Bible would help get kids more interested in it.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:16 am

So Jesus would feed, like, 5000 people with a 2 hamburger patties and 5 buns and turn water into Pepsi Max? Not a bad idea. You should write a treatment.
Back to top Go down
Schmiggens

Schmiggens

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:19 am

Moses would be on acid whenever he had visions of God. Eve would be a feminist bitch and Adam would be a closet gay. Noah would be an OCD old man who mumbles to himself as he goes round accosting the neighbours about their animals.

I've got it all planned out. Anyone got Buz Luhrman's phone number? We'll get working on it.
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 11:37 am

gaboman wrote:

I mean, good... I think that's an honest answer. I'm sure a lot of people are worried God will smite them if they say otherwise... I don't think it has to be your favorite book or anything, though... as long as you get something from it (and perhaps recommend it to people) then that's cool, right?

My favorite book is "The Engravings of Wraith" and I have said that multiple times. I do love the bible, but I'm not a literalist. It's not all truth, but mans version of the truth. I love studying it... but it isn't my favorite book. I do get things from reading the bible... like history lessons... good stories... advice... and eye rolling. I think that there are many stories in the bible that can be used to reflect back upon, and maybe learn something from, to help us in today's times. But, I don't live off of it (if that makes sense).
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 8:38 pm

You know I'll forget and ask you what your favorite book is again in 6 months.
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 2:10 am

Oh, I didn't mean that I'd said it to you multiple times. I meant, said it in general.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 3:38 am

Hehehe I looked the book up. A sexy lesbian black ops agent. No wonder you like it.
Back to top Go down
Illuminate

Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 12:00 pm

I'm catholic so I haven't actually READ the entire bible (and of course I feel guilty about it hehe). I've read most of it I think. I mean we hear parts of it at mass every sunday, and all the parts I had to study for my catechism classes. I'm actually surprised to hear that the Bible is a favorite book. I mean it used to be banned in some places, and a lot of people don't want to read it b/c they think it's poop. I think everyone should read it atleast once. I've been trying to do that since age 9....

...still workin' on it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr. F

Mr. F

Number of posts : 1216
Where I am : san diego
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 1:37 pm

Everybody seems to be thinking about avid readers and what they like to read. Im thinking a big factor in the poll is people like me who only read one book. The Bible is the only one I read, and not often at that. Christians that dont like to read still read the bible. How many people do you know that have spent years bouncing around Atlas Shrugged and never picked up another book?
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 2:19 pm

gaboman wrote:
Hehehe I looked the book up. A sexy lesbian black ops agent. No wonder you like it.

It's not all sex and lesbian stuff. It's just a damn well written book. The lady who wrote it has been in talks with Hollywood, for awhile now, about making this into a movie. They want to do it, but she isn't willing to allow them to make the changes to it that they want.
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

Number of posts : 7218
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 7:58 pm

Lawless wrote:
gaboman wrote:

My favorite book is "The Engravings of Wraith" and I have said that multiple times.  I do love the bible, but I'm not a literalist.  It's not all truth, but mans version of the truth.  I love studying it... but it isn't my favorite book.  I do get things from reading the bible... like history lessons... good stories... advice... and eye rolling.  I think that there are many stories in the bible that can be used to reflect back upon, and maybe learn something from, to help us in today's times.  But, I don't live off of it (if that makes sense).

Bible is good, you.

just hoping you respond to this message board and get back.
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

Number of posts : 7218
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 8:09 pm

drunken rant deleted by me, lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bible is America's favorite book: poll   Bible is America's favorite book: poll Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1