Inrejects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Spider-Man Musical to open in December

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
White Tiger

White Tiger

Number of posts : 586
Where I am : Portsmouth, Hampshire
Registration date : 2007-11-20

Spider-Man Musical to open in December Empty
PostSubject: Spider-Man Musical to open in December   Spider-Man Musical to open in December Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 8:21 pm

Technically this is breaking news so It can go here for now. From www.bbc.co.uk:

Spider-Man musical to open in December

Spider-Man Musical to open in December _48689296_48689301

The long-awaited Spider-Man musical is to open on Broadway in December, its producers have said.

The show, which features music and lyrics by U2's Bono and The Edge, has been in the making for several years.

It had been due to open in February, but production stopped last summer because of financial difficulties.

Producer Michael Cohl said the show would begin preview performances on 14 November, with opening night set for 21 December at the Foxwood Theatre.

Inspired by the Marvel Comics hero, Spider-Man Turn off the Dark spins a new take on the story of teenage science geek Peter Parker, who is bitten by a genetically-altered spider and wakes up with superhero powers.

The production has also been hit with casting issues with the title character - played by relatively-unknown singer and actor Reeve Carney
- only taken on earlier this year.

Scottish actor Alan Cumming pulled out of his role as The Green Gobline in April due to a "scheduling conflict" and has been replaced by The Lion King actor Patrick Page.

While fellow Broadway actress Jennifer Damiano has replaced The Wrestler star Evan Rachel Wood to play Mary Jane Watson.

The musical is reportedly the most expensive Broadway production to date, with a budget of almost $50m (£31.7m), thanks to its sprawling skyscraper sets.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

Number of posts : 9748
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Spider-Man Musical to open in December   Spider-Man Musical to open in December Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 9:21 pm

Long awaited? First I've heard about it!

Hilarious though. Should be fascinating. I can't imagine it being a huge hit or anything, but it'll have an alright run I think.
Back to top Go down
White Tiger

White Tiger

Number of posts : 586
Where I am : Portsmouth, Hampshire
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Spider-Man Musical to open in December   Spider-Man Musical to open in December Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 9:43 pm

I think that "features music and lyrics by U2's Bono and The Edge" is going to be damning. I cant see it being any good and if Stan Lee still had control rather than Disney it would never have happened.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Spider-Man Musical to open in December   Spider-Man Musical to open in December Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 10:14 pm

The whole thing does sort of scream 'wah?'

While I like some U2 songs... it's hard not to. But I'm not a huge fan. They just... I dunno what it is really. It's like they should be better than they actually are, if you know what I mean? Some early stuff is good, and some of the recent stuff is good (early '00 really)... but they just have too much crap in their catalog, and these musical stage shows really need to have at least 2 or 3 killer songs to survive.
Back to top Go down
Schmiggens MKII

Schmiggens MKII

Number of posts : 438
Where I am : @ Work
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Spider-Man Musical to open in December   Spider-Man Musical to open in December Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 11:56 pm

gaboman wrote:
Long awaited? First I've heard about it!

My thoughts exactly ..... except my thought was like " Long awaited? .... By who ..?" so not "my thoughts exactly" but close enough. Also "Breaking News" is there nothing else happening in the UK Today? Smile

I don't know about this. Bono hasn't written anything really good in ten years, if he can't write good stuff for his band anymore, who's to say he can write good stuff for a musical theatre show? Has he written for musical theatre before? I'd imagine it's a bit different to writing 12 unrelated 3-minutes pop songs and calling it a rock album.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Spider-Man Musical to open in December   Spider-Man Musical to open in December Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 5:17 am

Psshhh, we've got nothing else in breaking news, that's about as exciting it gets at the inrejects.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spider-Man Musical to open in December   Spider-Man Musical to open in December Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spider-Man Musical to open in December
Page 1 of 1