Inrejects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DIY Household Products

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pippin

Pippin

Number of posts : 884
Where I am : Washington
Registration date : 2007-01-23

DIY Household Products Empty
PostSubject: DIY Household Products   DIY Household Products Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2019 2:52 pm

I like to make my own cleaning supplies and toiletries. It's a fun thing to do on a weekend afternoon, and it saves me money. I'm still working out the kinks on my homemade shampoo and moisturizer. I'm happy with these recipes, though:

Powdered Dishwasher Detergent
1 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda
½ cup kosher salt
5 packets of Kool-Aid lemonade

Mix it all together. One tablespoon per load. Pour in a little white vinegar to the rinse compartment.

Powdered Laundry Detergent
1 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda
1 bar (4.5oz) laundry soap (I use Fels-Naptha), grated

Mix it all together. I use a blender to make the Fels-Naptha a fine powder. I grate it first with a cheese grater, but it's never as fine as I want it. One tablespoon per load. Works well with cold water.

Last edited by Pippin on Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pippin

Pippin

PostSubject: Re: DIY Household Products   DIY Household Products Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2019 2:55 pm

I didn't create these recipes, but I've looked at a bunch of different recipes and these two are the easiest and have the fewest ingredients/steps. Some recipes for dishwasher detergent call for food-grade powdered citric acid, and that's just a waste of money when the Kool-Aid is dirt cheap and does the same thing.

I've been using these recipes for months and am super happy with the results. My dishes are spot-free and my clothes smell good. The Fels-Naptha is a stain-lifter, too. For bad stains I keep a small chunk of un-grated Fels-Naptha to rub directly onto the stain before washing.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

Number of posts : 9748
Where I am : 台北市

PostSubject: Re: DIY Household Products   DIY Household Products Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2019 8:01 pm

I feel like the kool aid would make it sticky...?

Every time I try to make something from scratch it ends up costing me more than if I'd just bought a box of it from the store Sad
Back to top Go down
Pippin

Pippin

PostSubject: Re: DIY Household Products   DIY Household Products Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 9:14 pm

No sticky from the Kool-Aid. I think the sticky would come from the sugar added for drinking, but this just uses the flavoring packet. The more expensive version is with powdered citric acid (canning section of grocery store) instead of Kool-Aid.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

Number of posts : 9748
Where I am : 台北市

PostSubject: Re: DIY Household Products   DIY Household Products Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2019 6:48 am

That makes sense. We don't have Kool-Aid here so I didn't realize it didn't have sugar.

I wash my clothes at a laundromat, but it technically doesn't need soap. But we add it anyway. And often mix it with baking powder. Just because. I don't know if it does any good but the clothes smell better than when you don't use it.

I have a dishwasher in my new place. I haven't tried using it. It's scary.
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

Number of posts : 7218
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: DIY Household Products   DIY Household Products Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 6:11 pm

yes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Household Products   DIY Household Products Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DIY Household Products
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Inrejects :: News and Hot Topics :: Culture & Society-
Jump to: