Inrejects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Disney buys Fox

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
White Tiger

White Tiger

Number of posts : 586
Where I am : Portsmouth, Hampshire
Registration date : 2007-11-20

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:02 pm

The Disney Company have continued their crusade to own everything under the sun by buying a controlling stage in Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42353545

What this means for comic books fans is that Disney owns or has access to almost every single major Marvel Comic Book character ever created. They outright own the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, the Inhumans, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Blade, and Iron Fist and Luke Cage, and the Punisher. They have a deal with Universal which lets them use the Hulk and a deal with Sony to use Spiderman.

The only major Marvel characters that Disney do not currenly have access to are She Hulk, Doc Oc, Green Goblin, Venom and a lot of Spiderman's supporting cast or enemies, and, possibly, Namor.

The big crossover Secret Wars could happen after all!

I hope if they do go make X-Men some films they keep with the McAvoy and Fassbender Xavier/Magneto continuity.

Last edited by White Tiger on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

Number of posts : 7218
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 5:12 pm

This is excellent for comic book movies fans like me.

This bad news for Fox News fans like me. Disney will turn Fox news into an ABC news clone.

I guess us conservatives will have to go back to talk radio. So long t.v. news.

Well, it was good while it lasted.
Back to top Go down
White Tiger

White Tiger

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Whidden wrote:
This is excellent for comic book movies fans like me.

This bad news for Fox News fans like me. Disney will turn Fox news into an ABC news clone.

I guess us conservatives will have to go back to talk radio. So long t.v. news.

Well, it was good while it lasted.

Fox News isn't part of the deal. Murdoch's keeping control of that. Disney has bought out Fox's stake in Sky TV in Europe, Fox's Movie Studio and Intellectual Properties, Fox's stake in Hulu and some cable TV channels, but Murdoch and his empire will remain responsible for the News Channel in a new kind of spin off company: https://www.ft.com/content/7ecc5eb2-e0c0-11e7-a8a4-0a1e63a52f9c

I'm just exited about the potential for superhero films and programmes and cartoons and comics now.

Hopefully the McAvoy/Fassbender X-men continuity can be brought into the MCU somehow - through the Secret Wars would be as good a way as any - and maybe we can finally get a good Fantastic Four film with them joining the MCU as well.

Maybe they'll make new X-Men or Fantastic Four cartoons for the Disney Channels like they have for the Avengers, and Hulk and Spiderman and the Guardians of the Galaxy or maybe a live-action programme could be a possibility.

But most of all I hope the make good with this and dont make a mess of it.
Back to top Go down
White Tiger

White Tiger

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 5:38 pm

As a side note, buying Fox also gives Disney the rights for a live action version of Dragon Ball: http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/12/14/disney-fox-acquisition-dragon-ball-anime-live-action-rights/
Back to top Go down
Pippin

Pippin

Number of posts : 884
Where I am : Washington
Registration date : 2007-01-23

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 8:07 am

I like comic book movies, and they seem to be the hot item right now, with good actors and good writers trying to make the movies kick some butt. I like the McAvoy/Fassbender pairing for Xavier/Magneto. Especially Fassbender I love you

I can't read the article without a subscription. I really hope that it's like you said, White Tiger, about the news network not being impacted. I don't watch Fox News (I'm more of a talk radio person, and when I watch tv it's strictly for smut), but I want it to stick around to be a conservative option for tv news-watchin' folks.
Back to top Go down
Pippin

Pippin

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 8:13 am

Wasn't there already a live action Dragonball movie and it tanked?

There was: Dragonball Evolution and it sucked eggs.
Back to top Go down
White Tiger

White Tiger

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Pippin wrote:
Wasn't there already a live action Dragonball movie and it tanked?

There was: Dragonball Evolution and it sucked eggs.

I think Fox made that film just so their production rights didn't expire. Dragonball Evolution is notoriously one of the worst film adaptations ever made. It bears not even a passing resemblance to it's source material and everything in it is wrong. But that doesn't mean a good live-action version couldn't be made with somebody who cared more about the franchise and tried to be faithful. Honestly, I think a live-action Dragonball would be better as a series rather than film.
Back to top Go down
White Tiger

White Tiger

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 4:49 pm

Pippin wrote:
I like comic book movies, and they seem to be the hot item right now, with good actors and good writers trying to make the movies kick some butt. I like the McAvoy/Fassbender pairing for Xavier/Magneto. Especially Fassbender  I love you

I can't read the article without a subscription. I really hope that it's like you said, White Tiger, about the news network not being impacted. I don't watch Fox News (I'm more of a talk radio person, and when I watch tv it's strictly for smut), but I want it to stick around to be a conservative option for tv news-watchin' folks.

Here's a different website you dont have to subscribe to read: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/dec/14/disney-fox-deal-what-it-means-for-the-murdochs-and-their-media-empire

Following the deal to sell 21st Century Fox and most of its assets, Rupert Murdoch will retain ownership of Fox News, the division’s biggest profit driver, as well as Fox Sports, Fox Business and its broadcast TV network of 28 local television stations in the US.
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 1:16 pm

I get to keep Fox news!!! yeah!!!!

So this is good news all around. Some good movie are on the way. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

Number of posts : 9748
Where I am : 台北市

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2017 10:46 pm

I get why people are terrified of the mouse controlling so much of the entertainment industry...

Don't care, the X-Men are awesome, Marvel movies are great, Disney movies are great, Star Wars is great... If they start sucking I'll stop supporting but if they keep it up, I don't give a crap if they're the only movies that are released all year round.

Other studios aren't going to stop all together. They just need to try harder.
Back to top Go down
White Tiger

White Tiger

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2017 4:21 am

gaboman wrote:
I get why people are terrified of the mouse controlling so much of the entertainment industry...

Don't care, the X-Men are awesome, Marvel movies are great, Disney movies are great, Star Wars is great... If they start sucking I'll stop supporting but if they keep it up, I don't give a crap if they're the only movies that are released all year round.

Other studios aren't going to stop all together. They just need to try harder.

DC must be dreading this deal. They're struggling to get their own cinematic universe off the ground and after the mess that was Batman vs Superman and the poor reception for Justice League the last thing they need is for the MCU to be strenghtened with the addition of big name characters like the Fantastic Four and proven bankable franchise like the X-Men.

The strenght and appeal of the DC characters only has so much drawing power and if Disney can make a success of these aquisitions from Fox then the market for Superhero films will be well and truely cornered by Marvel and DC will have to have a big rethink to try to break that monopoly.
Back to top Go down
Pippin

Pippin

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2017 3:46 pm

DC owns Vertigo Comics, right? There are lots of stories through Vertigo that I would like to see on the big screen. The Sandman, Lucifer (Sandman spin-off), and Fables for sure.
Back to top Go down
Pippin

Pippin

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Maybe since Marvel has claimed the superhero top spot, DC movies can explore the comic books that aren't about having special powers.
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Marvel is good/great right now. And very powerful.

Sorry, meant Disney. But they will start putting out junk and garbage someday, and then they will tank and other movie studios will take over.

I'm hoping we get a good run out of Disney before they start putting out turds like Sony has been hitting us with the last few years.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Yeah, they can't keep this up forever. I hope they eventually start sucking so I can stop paying attention.

Warner Bros. and DC should be panicking. They have no idea what they're doing with their cinematic universes. They need to let them breathe, they can't just jump in and say "HEY HERE'S OUR CINEMATIC UNIVERSE GUYS!" Boom! Justice League! it doesn't work like that and you end up with a movie like... well, Justice League.

Universal did the same thing. DARK UNIVERSE? Pff. That Mummy movie sucked.
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2017 8:54 pm

Those studios keep handing over movies to directors like Zac Synder, who sucks. He had one good movie, 300.

Rest of them are lame. Yet they still put all their coin and reputation up on a loser director like that. After Sucker Punch, that guy was toast.

he should have been given a one way ticket out of hollywood. yet they give him man of steel. batman v superman, etc.

I'm starting to think they don't care about the movie, they just want names up on the trailer and a good trailer. If those studios could get the trailer guys to make the actual movie, we would all get what we want.

I retract my statements for the Mummy movie. That trailer had stink written all over it. Thank goodness for a trailer like that. It warned me to stay away from that giant turdlinger, lol. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pippin

Pippin

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Recent DC movies haven't grabbed my interest. Man of Steel, Batman vs. Superman, Wonder Woman, Justice League. I didn't think that any of them looked good so I decided to wait for them to come to the internet. Still haven't bothered to watch after I heard the reactions.

The only recent DC movie that kicked ass was Watchmen. That was a good one.
Back to top Go down
Pippin

Pippin

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2017 10:10 pm

I think it's safe to say that Marvel was winning the movie competition. Good move for Disney.
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Gabo: I'm a mummy. FEAR ME!!!!!!

it's 2017 and zombies are over-saturated in t.v. and movies, but let us make a movie based on zombies from ancient Egypt. That will be fun and take in some coin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. If we were all movie execs, we would all be rich, lol. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Pippin: I have not seen any of the batman movies. I stopped with the one where batman dropped the nuke over the ocean, faked his death and lived in france with cat woman. Ha ha, that sounds bad, but I found it a happy enough ending.

The reviews on the new movies have been terrible, so I stay away. I did see Man of Steel and found the first third of it a little good, the middle boring and the last part a cgi destroy buildings snoozer.

Had no interest to see anymore of that movie universe. It will be on netflix someday. I will see it and sigh.... Rolling Eyes

or maybe I will like it? Shocked Don't think so.

I would consider myself jaded and beyond movies or t.v., but I love Stranger Things. I loved Life of Pi. I still love the matrix when it's on t.v. Interstellar was cool and made me cry. Mad Max fury road was fun. Birdman was freaky!!!!!

I am still here and I still like movies and t.v. Very Happy I won't let those studio idiots tell me what a good movie is or not, they put out garbage like Ghostbusters reboot and I'm not falling in line with that garbage, Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2017 1:22 am

Zack Snyder doesn't do much for me in general, but I do like his visual style. He seemingly just can't execute a good story.

Think about it. 300, Sucker Punch, Watchmen, even Batman v Superman - they all look great. Just... story problems. Big, big story problems. It's not just him though, the DC universe is largely hit and miss. Mostly miss.

I prefer what Zack Snyder does to Michael Bay. They both have lame stories but at least Zack Snyder has a great eye for action and composing fight scenes.
Back to top Go down
White Tiger

White Tiger

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 4:10 am

There may be a spanner in the works for the Disney purchase of Fox. The US Department of Justice are trying to block the merged of A&T and Time Waener, at least in its current form, and how that ends up might decide whether Disney's purchase of Fox goes ahead, and a second bidder called Comcast might outbid Disney and steal Fox's assests out from under them. http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/avengers-and-x-men-no-more-new-report-claims-potential-third-suitor-in-disney-fox-deal
Back to top Go down
Pippin

Pippin

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 10:25 pm

Comcast has been getting a little bigger lately and expanding to new areas. My hometown just got completely hooked up to the Comcast grid. Roads were blocked for weeks while the company was laying lines everywhere. I couldn't get into my parents' driveway (about a half-mile driveway, miles out of town) because the Comcast workers were laying lines on personal property. That ticked me off. Personal property! And two big trucks were blocking the way while they dug into my parents' dirt, inconveniencing anyone who needed to come and go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Disney buys Fox Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Disney buys Fox Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disney buys Fox
Page 1 of 1