Inrejects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tales of Monkey Island

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
gaboman

gaboman

Number of posts : 9748
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

Tales of Monkey Island Empty
PostSubject: Tales of Monkey Island   Tales of Monkey Island Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:36 pm

There's been a new Monkey Island game out for more than 6 months now!!! Did anybody know about this!?!??! Why did nobody tell me? I absolutely love, love, love Monkey Island. I mean I honestly think it's the best thing ever. There's 5 whole new chapters (each sold separately on amazon, but I've seen you can get a bundle) for PC, but there's also a PS3 version (I dont know when that came out but there's a demo on the PS store.

I am so... I dunno, I want to go home and just find the game, download it and play it all day instead of working. I reckon I'm going to become reclusive until I finish it... so if you don't hear from me... you know why. Oh man, I'm hyped. I need this. Now. Right now.

Okay, totally composed now. But seriously, I have the first four Monkey Island games and still get a huge kick out of them. I think I got into them around the time the second one came out, and absolutely loved it from the very start. Since then, I've been addicted. Graphic adventure games have been very few and far between in the past 10 to 15 years, but I'm glad Lucas Art is trying to bring 'em back.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Monkey Island   Tales of Monkey Island Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 1:43 am

Tales of Monkey Island 51PoUMU8x4L._AA300_
Graphics aren't really much to look at by today's standards, but that's not really WHY you play a Monkey Island game so I think it's easy to overlook.

The game play is different yet again. Monkey Island 1 and 2 were very, very unattractive games with a mouse point-and-click way of operating things. It was easy enough. Monkey 3 changed this up a bit, and if I remember right they had a little click menu that came up. Monkey 4 was even weirder, where you controlled the character's actions outright. All of these were kick ass games though.

Tales of Monkey Island seems a tad easier than previous versions. Now, whenever something is selectable or useable by a character, there seems to be a little arrow on top of it. This is helpful in that you'll be able to figure out what the hell is going on. My biggest complaint with earlier games was from time to time there was a puzzle I couldn't accomplish simply because I didn't realize something was clickable. So I like this new way.

Beyond this, there's the typical bounty chest thing where you can view things you are carrying. Then, from there, you can combine this and that to see if something happens. So all this is pretty much the same - just different controls.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Monkey Island   Tales of Monkey Island Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 4:18 am

Bloody hell, the original game was remastered/redone and released on the iPhone, PS3 and other devices. WHY am I only hearing about all of this now?
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Monkey Island   Tales of Monkey Island Icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2010 11:25 pm

Never heard of it...

Are these those old LucasArts games?

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Monkey Island   Tales of Monkey Island Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 9:21 pm

Yeah, exactly.

I tried playing Tales of Monkey Island on my computer last week and it kept crashing. I think I need a graphics card for it to work (I don't normally play games on my computer).

But since I was there I installed Curse of Monkey Island. Doesn't work on a Vista machine, as it turns out, so I installed some sort of... helper program called SCUMV or some shit. Then it worked. And it was awesome fun.
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Monkey Island   Tales of Monkey Island Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 2:04 pm

I've only finished the first two chapters of this. It's cool, but I only have it on the phone and it's a bit annoying / fidgety sometimes. Would be heaps better on PC (I had the PC version but it crashed; my GPU is no good for games).

People who were into Monkey Island years back are citing all the insane similarities between the game and the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. There's a lot to it, but the movies are still their own thing. I'd pay to see a Monkey Island movie though.
Back to top Go down
HECK!

HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Monkey Island   Tales of Monkey Island Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 5:40 pm

Read this article on Cracked a while back. There are more than just similarities...

http://www.cracked.com/article_19443_7-classic-movies-you-didnt-know-were-rip-offs.html

-HECK!
Back to top Go down
gaboman

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Monkey Island   Tales of Monkey Island Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 9:49 pm

Yeah but they both have their own thing going on at the same time. I enjoyed the first Pirates of the Caribbean for a totally different reason to why I enjoyed Monkey Island, so I give 'em a pass. Except for those 3 sequels. They owe me 6 hours of my life back, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Monkey Island   Tales of Monkey Island Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tales of Monkey Island
Page 1 of 1