Inrejects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lawless

Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York Empty
PostSubject: At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York   At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 6:09 pm

(CNN) -- A lone gunman killed at least 13 people and himself Friday in an immigration services center in Binghamton, New York, in what officials are calling the "most tragic day in Binghamton's history."

The gunman drove a car to the back of American Civic Association building to block the exit and entered the front of the building, where he shot two receptionists, Binghamton Police Chief Joseph Zikuski said.

The gunman then proceeded to a nearby classroom and opened fire, Zikuski said.

One of the receptionists called 911 to report the shooting, Zikuski said.

In all, law enforcement removed 14 deceased people from the building and 37 survivors, the police chief said.

Four of those were in critical condition at local hospitals, he said.

The gunman carried identification that said he was 42 and from upstate New York, the official said.

A warrant is being obtained to search the suspected shooter's home in nearby Johnson City, another law enforcement source said.

Officials would not name the suspect.

President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama offered their condolences to the grieving community.

"Michelle and I were shocked and deeply saddened to learn about the act of senseless violence in Binghamton, New York, today," he said. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims, their families and the people of Binghamton."

Vice President Joe Biden, who was in New York on unrelated business, also condemned the acts and called on Americans to stop the cycle of violence.

"I'd ask you to keep all those folks in your prayers," he said. "I think it's time that, we gotta figure a way to deal with this senseless, senseless violence." At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York Video Watch Biden call shootings 'senseless' »

"This is a horrible situation," Gov. David Paterson said. At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York Video Watch Gov. Paterson ask for moment of silence »

"There's no available data on what's going on there other than the fact that lives have been lost."

Two people who were led from the building in plastic handcuffs are not considered suspects, the police chief said.

Video from the scene showed a person on a stretcher being taken to an ambulance. At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York Video Watch witness describe his shock over incident »

The Press & Sun-Bulletin said that about 10 people came out of the building shortly after noon. They emerged with their hands on their heads. The police searched some of them, the newspaper reported.

About 12:40 p.m., another 10 -- clad in white sheets -- came out of the rear of the building, the newspaper said. At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York Video Watch how the SWAT reacts to a hostage situation »

The FBI sent hostage negotiators and an evidence response team to the scene, spokesman Richard Kolko said.

Nearby apartments were evacuated, and Binghamton High School was locked down for most of the afternoon.

"Within minutes, [the situation] turned into one just flooded with police," Bob Joseph, news director of WNBF Radio, told CNN. Are you there? See submitted images, send your own

The American Civic Association helps immigrants and refugees with a number of issues, including personal counseling, resettlement, citizenship and reunification, and provides interpreters and translators, according to the United Way of Broome County, which is affiliated with the association.

Rashidun Haque, who owns a nearby convenience store, said police had him and his four customers stay inside and away from the windows.

"I'm really shaky, because this kind of thing -- it's a small city, it's a beautiful city, but nothing goes down serious like this," Haque said. At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York Video Watch store owner describe police 'flooding the streets' »

He said the Civic Association building is about a two-minute walk from downtown.

Binghamton is about 140 miles northwest of New York City.
Back to top Go down
http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
Lawless

Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York   At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 6:10 pm

American Civic Association

• Founded in 1939 by group of immigrants
• Private organization funded by United Way
• Sponsors citizenship education
• Promotes racial, religious, political understanding
• Helps immigrants get visas, green cards
• Hosts everything from tenants' rights seminars to St. Patrick's dinners to polka concerts
Back to top Go down
http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
Dekka00

Dekka00

Number of posts : 1251
Where I am : Commonwealth of Virginia
Registration date : 2007-01-27

PostSubject: Re: At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York   At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 10:17 pm

what the hell makes people do shit like this?
Back to top Go down
lodgebo

lodgebo

Number of posts : 524
Where I am : Edinburgh where drink is cheap and women are cheaper
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York   At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 9:31 am

I heard the gunman was an immigrant from Vietnam makes you wonder if the ACA couldnt help him out and this was his revenge. Makes you wonder how folk like this are still getting thier hands on firearms
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York   At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

At least 13 people, gunman dead in Binghamton, New York
Page 1 of 1