Inrejects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fred Thompson drops out of the race

Go down 
+2
Whidden
fuscia
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fuscia

fuscia

Number of posts : 2304
Where I am : INSane Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-23

Fred Thompson drops out of the race Empty
PostSubject: Fred Thompson drops out of the race   Fred Thompson drops out of the race Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 4:13 pm

(CNN) -- Former Sen. Fred Thompson on Tuesday ended his run for the presidency, coming off the heels of a disappointing third-place finish in South Carolina's GOP primary and heading into the showdown state of Florida next week.Fred Thompson drops out of the race Art.thompson.gi

Former Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee has dropped out of the race for the GOP presidential nomination.

Fred Thompson drops out of the race Corner_wire_BL

"Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for president of the United States," Thompson said in a statement.

"I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people."

Thompson entered the race in September, long after his Republican rivals had announced their candidacies and began raising money. His campaigning style was criticized as lackluster, and he was never able to capitalize on the anticipation supporters had built before he announced that he was getting into the race.

Thompson was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1994 and represented Tennessee for eight years.

Short of cash and sinking in national polls, Thompson had staked his hopes on South Carolina, where a strong showing could have reinvigorated his flagging campaign.
Thompson played to the voters as a staunch conservative and a son of the South. While he did draw some evangelical voters from one-time Baptist preacher and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, it wasn't enough to pull him into contention for the nomination.

He finished with 16 percent of the vote. Sen. John McCain won Saturday's contest with 33 percent, followed by Huckabee with 30 percent.

"He's really been good lately, but it's too late," CNN analyst Bill Bennett said of Thompson after South Carolina returns started to come in. "If you're a Southern conservative and you can't make it in South Carolina, it's over."

Earlier, Thompson finished third in Iowa, fifth in Michigan and Nevada, sixth in New Hampshire and a distant second to former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in Wyoming.

Thompson teased Republicans all last summer after forming a fundraising committee for a possible presidential campaign on June 1.

When he announced in September that he was formally entering the race, it was well after the other Republicans had launched their campaigns, and analysts said the late entry may have hurt him.

Thompson is an actor best known for his role as District Attorney Arthur Branch on NBC's "Law & Order."

Five candidates remain in the Republican race -- McCain, Huckabee, Romney, Rep. Ron Ron Paul of Texas and former New York Mayor Rudy Rudy Giuliani.

Giuliani has largely skipped the early voting states to focus on the January 29 primary in Florida and the delegate-rich races in the "Super Tuesday" primaries February 5.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sherryzod.etsy.com
Whidden

Whidden

Number of posts : 7218
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Fred Thompson drops out of the race   Fred Thompson drops out of the race Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 4:22 pm

I had a Die Hard joke, but I lost it. Just exited my train of thought dammit.
Back to top Go down
fuscia

fuscia

Number of posts : 2304
Where I am : INSane Diego

PostSubject: Re: Fred Thompson drops out of the race   Fred Thompson drops out of the race Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 4:27 pm

I never liked Thompson. He seemed like he wasn't that into running.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sherryzod.etsy.com
Whidden

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Fred Thompson drops out of the race   Fred Thompson drops out of the race Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 4:28 pm

I liked the idea of him, but when he entered the race, he was a dud. Couldn't see him as president at all.
Back to top Go down
Schmiggens

Schmiggens

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Fred Thompson drops out of the race   Fred Thompson drops out of the race Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 5:51 am

Who ...?

Oprah for President! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Lawless

Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego

PostSubject: Re: Fred Thompson drops out of the race   Fred Thompson drops out of the race Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 9:19 am

I'm not surprised... at all.
Back to top Go down
http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
Illuminate

Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Fred Thompson drops out of the race   Fred Thompson drops out of the race Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 12:04 am

In quoting Schmiggens...

who?
Back to top Go down
Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Fred Thompson drops out of the race   Fred Thompson drops out of the race Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 12:13 am

I was gonna say who too, but I didn't want to sound retarded
Back to top Go down
Whidden

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Fred Thompson drops out of the race   Fred Thompson drops out of the race Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 6:32 pm

He was in Die Hard people!!! DIE HARD. I look down on you all, not that you didn't know he ran for President, but that you didn't know he was in DIE HARD.

Uh, well, it was Die Hard two, but whatever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fred Thompson drops out of the race   Fred Thompson drops out of the race Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fred Thompson drops out of the race
Page 1 of 1